- Lead multiple teams in a cross-functional capacity – determine the scope of work, assess market opportunities, direct growth strategy, scalability, and investment merit.
- Leverage cross-division strengths to plan for new business development opportunities or to address organizational challenges and or/setbacks.
- Develop integrated plans across a range of media with extensive experience with digital and mobile marketing
- Development of intellectual properties brands for entertainment, sports, lifestyle, and spirits while developing new revenue streams globally.
- Research and write intellectual property business plans for financing, development, marketing concept and business opportunities for talent, producers, and writers, for film, television, print and music products while seeking tradition and non-traditional outlets for their intellectual property.
- Develop and maintain relationships with advertiser-supported distribution businesses encompassing both sales and business development in traditional and digital media or to address organizational challenges and or/setbacks.
- Leading the sales and creative teams to execute commercial strategies, pipeline management, and performance plans ensuring they are supported by the right structure, talent, and process.
- Manage budgets and timelines to make the Brand’s investments work hard while staying abreast of new insights, ideas, and opportunities to the Brand
- Identifying and developing new partnership opportunities while maintaining current and existing client relationship while building a TV, advertising, enterprise and digital media relationship with a key focus on advertising & branded content.
- Spearhead the development, communication, and implementation of effective growth strategies and processes for Not for Profits and community organizations and community outreach.
- Lead advertising & marketing initiatives to develop and implement strategies by creating new approaches to heighten brand awareness and positioning through relevant content, talent, digital and traditional media outlets.
- Oversee all financial operations of the business including the oversight of continued business processes and controls.
- P&L accountability for client intellectual properties – review past performance to find ways to leverage recent performance and failures when seeking new and unique brand opportunities. Use these insights to set expectations and consistently evolve best practices to accommodate changing market needs.
- Motivate and lead high-performance teams – drive the company to achieve business goals and objectives.
- Intellectual property (IP) management – drafting employee/talent contracts, filing copyright, trademarks and patents – marketing, branding, and monetization of IP to create multiple revenue streams.
- Identify potential legal, liability, financial risks and provide potential mitigation solutions or a “Plan B, C, D, ETC” and oversee implementation and execution.
2009 – Present: MANAGING PARTNER/(COO), Independent Creative Artists – Los Angeles, CA
Independent Creative Artists (ICA) is an intellectual property firm specializing in content, app, business development, and branding. ICA’s mission is to protect, brand, market and increase the value of client intellectual property (IP) through multiple monetization channels.
2008 – 2009: MANAGING PARTNER/(COO), De Lucia Music Group – Los Angeles, CA
De Lucia Media is a full-service video production company that handles film, television, commercials, and music videos. Based in Los Angeles but with teams also in New York and Washington DC, DLM handles national commercial production for brands including Ford Motors, Rush Media, and Universal Records.
2007 – 2008: CHIEF DIGITAL MARKETING OFFICER, Mosaic – Miami, FL
Mosaic’s mission is to innovate marketing and advertising solutions across traditional and digital technologies to find the right audience—no matter where they are. From critical membership organizations and nonprofit missions to powerful commercial brands, Mosaic creates one-of-a-kind experiences that result in high-impact growth and engagement.
2005 – 2007: SVP, BUSINESS DEVELOPMENT, Urban Icon Multimedia – New York, NY
Urban Icon Multimedia, Inc. specializes in developing strategic partnerships between brands and publishers. Negotiate domestic and foreign distribution deals of client intellectual properties.
2003 – 2005: SVP, BUSINESS DEVELOPMENT, Arista/BMG/Trackmasters (now Sony Ent) – New York, NY
Sony Music Entertainment is a global recorded music company with a current roster that includes a broad array of both local artists and international superstars. The company boasts a vast catalog that comprises some of the most important recordings in history and is home to premier record labels representing music from every genre.
1996 – 2001: Consultant – Director of Business Affairs/Development, Intellectual Property Group, New York, NY
The Intellectual Property Group (IPG) was a legal consultancy firm specializing in IP with a national and international base of clients in the arts, advertising, design, entertainment, film, illustration, digital media, publishing, photography, television, and video production. IPG was dissolved as of the September 11th attacks – located in Tower 2.
1993 – 2000: CONTRACT ATTORNEY, Various, New York, NY
(Companies include Conde Nast, White & Case, ProSkauer Rose, Cadwalader, Whickersham & Taff, Paul Hastings, Paul Weiss, Urban Box Office, Intellectual Property Group)
Messrs. Shakur holds a Bachelor of Arts in Psychology, a Bachelor of Arts in Black & Puerto Rico Studies, a Master of Art in Industrial Psychology, an MBA in Digital Business Marketing, and a Juris Doctorate with an intellectual property focus.